The 2023 MFI Index
The 60 Decibels Microfinance Index is live!
The 2023 Microfinance Index includes data from more than 115 participating financial service providers (FSPs) and is supported by 32 Partners. Now in its second year, the 2023 Microfinance Index has surveyed 32,000+ microfinance clients in 32 countries focusing specifically on clients in Cambodia, Ecuador, India, Indonesia and Uganda. This year’s survey gathers quantitative and qualitative data along six key dimensions of impact, including Access, Business Impact, Household Impact, Client Protection, Resilience, and Agency.
The data behind the Index is available now, and our public report will be released later in the year.
5 key insights
1. Clients with group loans report a better experience of their Financial Service Provider (FSP) than those with individual loans.
2. Clients in Southeast Asia report their loan repayments are a burden more often, driven by results from Cambodia.
3. Microfinance clients continue to report higher confidence to deal with a future shock than the population as a whole.
4. Clients who use their loan for business (productive) purposes report better outcomes in financial resilience and in their households.
5. Females report slightly stronger outcomes in confidence and decision making compared to males, two indicators within the agency dimension.
Top Impact Awards
The MFI 2023 Top Impact Awards recognise the top 3 ranked financial service providers surveyed in each region – Africa, Asia and Latin America, listed in alphabetical order.
MFI 2023 Top Impact Award – Africa
Grace and Mercy Households Improvement Initiative
MicroLoan Foundation Zambia
Kenya Woman Microfinance Bank
MFI 2023 Top Impact Award – Asia
Tinh Thuong One Member
MFI 2023 Top Impact Award – LatAm
Fundación Génesis Empresarial
Pro Mujer México
Why the Microfinance Index?
“As for my family, we no longer have extreme financial worries. We no longer have to run back and forth looking for someone to lend us money to support and maintain our business.”— Female, 53